[BUG] FileList does not rename and does not delete some files

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 6 21:03:45 UTC 2004

Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org> wrote:

> Are these files open somehow? Some versions of Windows won't let you delete or
> rename open files.
I should hope that NO OS ever would let you delete open files. Renaming
seems like a pretty bad idea too.

As your code snippet implied but you didn't explicitly say, if the
files have been opened and not explicitly closed (more bad things, but
the system seems to be rife with them) then a garbage collect will
trigger the grim reaper (aka the finalization loop) to run and that
typically closes orphaned open files.

It's all associated with the total and utter mess of filestreams et al.

tim
Make sure your code "does nothing" gracefully.