Monticello, SM2, BFAV in 3.7alpha (was Re: Error during install of KomHttpServer 6.2 in Squeak3.7a-5657 image)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jan 26 21:12:28 UTC 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 10:15 AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> Yes. I have smashed most of them I think, right now I have the
> "Jazzmynn-bug" which evidently had to do with HFS on MacOS not handling
> directory names >30 characters (SM uses UUIDs which are 36 characters
> long in String form).
>
> Haven't decided how to resolve that one yet.

HFS supports filenames to 31 characters
HFS+ (extended) supports 255 character file/directory names

Old macs coming from system 8.x or so even being upgraded to os-x, or
volumes under a certain MB size are formated as HFS.
A Get info on the volume will show the volume type as extended for HFS+

One cannot assume any mac system will be HFS+ only.

Use
FileDirectory default class maxFileNameLength
to find out what file name max length is
I'll note that this will only identify if the boot volume is HFS+,
might have other volumes that aren't HFS, but Squeak doesn't quite
handle different file types between volumes..

Of course any issues with filenames > 31 chars on HFS+ volumes should
be pointed out as a [BUG]

> --
===