SM final tweaks (was Re: Trouble getting SqueakMap to work)

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Tue Jan 27 15:47:47 UTC 2004

>PS. I will also later on add some convenience mechanisms in the
>package loader to open a filelist on the proper cache directory etc,
>since finding the correct dir is now very hard. :)

Hi Göran,
that was why some people tried to convince you to use real package
names ( + version-no ) instead of UUIDs or even 'encrypted' UUIDs. For
instance I would like to be able to _browse_ the downloaded packages
with an ordinary ( host OS ) filemanager. As it now stands, everyone
will use everywhere the UUIDs. That is more Randomtalk than Smalltalk
in mails, scripts, docs and here directories. It reminds me very much
of the infamous registry of M$, which primary reason of existance IMO
is to take away control from the user.

Anyway, ( perhaps I should have said that first :) great work! I like
especially the open and inviting web interface - very important
psychological aspect of SM.

regards
Martin