Are developers initial useful ?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Jan 27 22:15:57 UTC 2004

Hi all!

"Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus" <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 04:21:27PM +0100, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
> > Let's extend this question by: why not including the whole name and
> > an email address?
>
> Email addresses change.
>
> Joshua

Exactly. Now, if you have read my article on SqP about SM2 you may have
noticed that SMAccounts have unique developer ids, names and emails. And
more.

name - though my name is pretty rare it is not guaranteed to be unique.
And you don't want to have names like "Dave Smith2" etc.

email - Sure, it is unique. But it changes a lot.

developer initials - Unique (SM2 makes sure it is) and does not need to
change. Sure, I changed my name and also my dev id. But not many people
do that. :)

...so we can do this:

(SMSqueakMap default accountForUsername: 'gk') name

...or:

(SMSqueakMap default accountForUsername: 'gk') email

In the above "username" is the same as "developer initials" - SM2 uses
them as the username.

regards, Göran