[BUG] Monticello Browsing Package and *Extensions

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Jan 30 19:37:38 UTC 2004

On Jan 30, 2004, at 10:55 AM, Samir Saidani wrote:
> In my mind, as a monticello user, the methodCategoryPrefix I choose is
> totally disconnected from the package name since nothing in monticello
> doc says the opposite : if I have a package named MyTestInfo, I can
> name the method category '*myTest' which seems to be quite reasonable
> or whatever like '*my super Test', maybe more fantaisist, but both
> don't work anyway. I really don't understand why there is a constraint
> on the name of methodCategoryPrefix, but if there is one, could you
> clearly state what is this constraint in a readmeText of monticello
> package ?  I spend a lot of time to figure out what is the naming
> policy !

There isn't a constraint on the #methodCategoryPrefix (Julian was
describing the default rules, I'm not sure he picked up that you were
subclassing PackageInfo).  However, there are still rules about how the
prefix is applied - the only categories that should match are those
with names identical to the prefix, or those with the prefix, then '-',
then something else.  That is, if you are going to put additional
information after the prefix it has to be separated from the prefix
with a hyphen, not a space.  This is to reduce conflicts if two
packages have overlapping prefixes.

Does that help?

Avi