DateTime's and LargeIntegers

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Thu Jul 1 15:48:12 UTC 2004

Ross Boylan wrote:

> For that matter, if I unload the LargeInteger module (I was able to
> find that command), how can I reload it?  Other than restarting the
> vm, that is...

> I suppose I also don't know if Linux is one of the
> systems that supports unloading modules.

Linux supports this.
Note:
  Smalltalk unloadModule: 'LargeIntegers'
would be the correct call (just the string visible in the prim calls is
the arg) in this case, but...(see below).

> A final issue is whether one
> can unload a builtin module at all.

For me this works.
But this doesn't help, since it is quickly loaded again, if somewhere in
the system LargeIntegers arithmetics will be used, and there are many
places (e.g. opening a browser in Morphic is sufficient for me to load
it again)...

For a better - and platform independent - control of plugin calls
(switching them on/off) look for package PrimCallController at
SqueakMap. I have made it just for testing plugins (and especially the
LargeIntegers plugin).

BTW: I don't think that the LargeIntegers plugin is the bottleneck in
your case.

Greetings
Stephan

--