[BUG HUNT!]ImageSegment loading troubles revisited

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Jul 2 13:23:54 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Just wanted to say that this bug is as illusive as the scarlet
pimpernel. :) At the moment it just "disappeared" on my machine! Yep.
Somehow it is connected to how Linux handles memory I think. I bet it
will come back if I reboot and start all over, will do that. Anyway...

I got "insight" working (nice UI on top of gdb) that was actually quite
easy! Craig lured me into it. :) For anyone else eager to debug the VM
using gdb/insight, here is what I did:

1. Followed Ian's build procedure but skipped the "make install" at the
end.

2. cd'ed to the build directory and just entered "insight ./squeak".

3. Opened console and wrote "set args /home/gokr/myimage.image"
(verified it took by writing "show args")

4. Clicked on the little running man. :) That starts Squeak and stops
right in the main() - insight has put a breakpoint there from the start.
Then I used the function browser under the View menu to find the
function I wanted to debug, breakpoints can easily be put into the code
by clicking in the left edge of the source.

Well, nothing much more to say. I was pleasantly surprised that gdb
somehow found the source automagically! Sometimes it seems to "jump
around" slightly weird in the source window when stepping, but not sure.

Anyway, I have always dreaded going into gdb, but this was a pleasant
experience! :)

regards, Göran