I want to run the interperter within squeak 3.6 or 3.7

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Jul 3 15:53:43 UTC 2004

Hi tim
I hope your move was ok.

> a) you'd probably be better off running
> InterpreterSimulatorLSB (or MSB) blah blah

I tried and I got the same error related to the copy method
this method is not implemented apparently.

> b) VMMaker for 3.6 is still on my website at
> http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/packages/VMMaker/
> VMMaker3-6g2.sar
> c) currently the simulator is not massively useful. I can run an image
> setup with an MVC project up to the point where I can open a browser,
> get bored with the dismal speed and exit theimage.

Yes but alex saved hours (days, weeks of C debugging) with the
interpretor even in MVC.
And I would like to build a lecture on VMs.

> In a Morphic project  it crashes fairly quickly because the slang code
> in B2Dplugin-whatever isn't very simulatable yet.  I vaguely recall
> something like strcpy being referred to which is fine when translated
> but no good in sim. There is a good deal of work needed and I'm simply
> not in a position to do all of it. If someone were paying me I might
> change my mind but to be honest there are much more interesting things
> to do in the VM right now and the simulator is not anywhere near the
> top of my priority list.

How much would you consider for having a good debugger?
(note that this is a serious question that you can reply to me
privately if you want)

Stef