Magma....

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Mon Jul 5 14:26:25 UTC 2004

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

[snip]
> I have yet not worked *extensively* using Magma - but I *do* have a
> fully working web app using it with a Magma-local db. The key here is
> probably that I use 3.6-5424 + Magma 1.0gamma6.
>
> And given that I have had no problems at all, it works smoothly.

Great!

> But Avi is right in the fact that Magma has not many users yet - and
> probably not anyone in serious production (just guessing), and it
> probably has issues - especially if you run it in 3.7 and the latest
> release.
>
> But it is a very neat OODB implementation - probably the most advanced
> one that is free and written in Squeak, AFAIK.

Agreed.

> Let's not pitch GOODs against Magma in the sense that the community
> needs to "choose" one or the other - sure, for your *personal* needs you
> must of course choose the one that fits. :) And I am also sure Avi
> didn't imply that - I just want to make sure that Chris feels our
> support in his quest. :)
>
> I for one love Magma, and even if I haven't done serious plumbing yet -
> it is really neat, and quite fast too.

I agree with you. I just want to go on record that my previous email was
not an attempt to pit GOODS against Magma. Nor I am saying anyone has
said such. :)

I just wanted to encourage Chris to speak up and communicate some with
us. Let us know his vision. Let us know where he is in the scheme of
things. He may be very busy right now with other activities. That is
fine. He may be busy putting bread on the table. If so great. But a
little talk can go a long ways towards dispelling shadows, making known
some unknowns.

I too like Magma very much. I have only played with it slightly and that
was awhile back. I will look a playing with it some more. I definitely
have some desktop projects I want to work on which would provide a good
opportunity for such. For such I think, Magma can be an easier solution
than GOODS. I would however love to see Magma server ready also. It may
be, I don't know.

I will definitely give Magma a try for my server project.

> regards, Göran
>
> PS. My app is actually on SM, but I haven't bothered to "wrap it up
> neatly" yet. Will as soon as I get time, the app is a little nice
> reminder tool and I built it as a "show case" for Squeak, HttpView and
> Magma. Email in private if you desperately want to play with it. :)

Okay! :)

Jimmie Houchin