Linux building woes...

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Jul 6 01:57:28 UTC 2004

Hi guys!

I am struggling on with my VM-building exercises, this time I am trying
to build Ned's branch, checked out from SqF (may be slightly outdated,
but my issue is probably not related - see below).

I have successfully built Ian's 3.6 and 3.7b sources before.

According to a hint from Ned that I found I explicitly used aclocal-1.7
instead of just aclocal - that made it work. But I had to manually hack
/usr/bin/aclocal-1.7 so that it doesn't try to call find_configure_ac,
because I have no idea where that function is! Anyway, this made it work
with autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.8.5, which are the latest releases
AFAIK.

But... my VM src is from a 3.7b-5969, with this essentially just latest
VMMaker and OSProcess installed from SM. When it compiles the VM itself
it barfs at the "fptr" like this:

	gnu-interp.c:741: error: syntax error before "const"

I am using gcc 3.3.3. Not sure how to handle this, any hints
appreciated.

regards, Göran

PS. Still not sure what status we have on the SF HEAD vs SF-ned-branch
vs Ian's source tarballs. We really, really ought to try to get this
settled in a good way. Since we are now (I assume) going to do the move
from SF to SqF it seems like a good time to get this in "order". :)