start activeX out of Squeak possible?

John R. Pierce john at pierce.name
Tue Jul 6 17:27:36 UTC 2004

Hi Thom,

We used Squeak on the job to automate COM components quite successfully.  We
didn't build a COM interface, but we did build a .NET interface.  So it seems a
bit like technology soup, but if you use tlbimp.exe in the .NET Framework SDK (I
believe) you can generate a .NET wrapper around a COM object/control.  Then
using the Squeak .NET bridge on SqueakMap you can then instantiate and automate
your COM object.  Yes, it does indeed work (at least for our COM components we
tried it with).

If you need more specific examples I can provide those in a follow-up email.  I
am assuming you are familiar with tlbimp.exe and the .NET programming model a
bit here.

Regards,

John