problems building debian packages

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Jul 7 05:57:20 UTC 2004

On 06 Jul 2004, at 11:00, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Jiann-Ming Su <js290 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> But, I still run into the 64-bit problem:
>
> Yes, Squeak VM wants 32-bit int, int *, etc.  I bet gcc can be
> configured on alpha to work in a 32-bit universe; does anyone know of
> the proper flags to achieve this?

gcc2 cannot do this.  I haven't checked gcc3 explicitly, but I bet the
same reasons that prevented gcc2 from doing it also prevent gcc3 from
doing it.

The only way (that I know of) to build a VM on alpha is under OSF/1
using the vendor (DEC aka Compaq aka HP) toolchain, which has a
"-migrate" option to force all memory regions into the low 32 bits.  I
used to include a script with the Unix distribution to build on alpha
([ab]using gcc for the compile and linking with the vendor ld) but
stopped doing including it (and building alpha binaries with it) when I
noticed nobody had downloaded a prebuilt alpha VM for over a year.  I
could probably find this script if it's useful.  (This would only be
useful I haven't read much of the thread, so if we're talking about
Linux on alpha then you're on your own.)