"Save Project on File" "almost hangs" Squeak?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jul 8 10:45:34 UTC 2004

Milan Zimmermann <milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Marc,
>
> The behaviour is the same (Squeak "hangs" on the save) with or without the
> "-memory 96m" switch:
>
> cd $HOME/dev/smalltalk/squeak/3.7;squeak Squeak3.7b-5967.image
> cd $HOME/dev/smalltalk/squeak/3.7;squeak -memory 96m Squeak3.7b-5967.image
>
> The VM version:
>
> mzimmermann at home-server:~> squeak -version
> 3.7b-5 #2 Tue Apr  6 20:38:14 CEST 2004 gcc egcs-2.91.66
> Squeak3.7beta of '1 April 2004' [latest update: #5868]
> Linux pingu.inria.fr 2.2.19-6.2.7 #1 Thu Jun 14 07:51:10 EDT 2001 i686
> default plugin location: /usr/lib/squeak/3.7b-5/*.so
>
> Please let me know if I can provide more info, try something else,  and/or try
> a different VM or image (although, I do not know enough on how to "export"
> that project to duplicate in a new image - i tried to create a similar
> project and the "Save Project onFile" works correctly.).

Ehmm. So you could create *another* Project and save that one? Then it
can't be a general issue with ImageSegment saving. Did you try to do
alt-. while it is running? That will hopefully get a notifier so that
you can get into the debugger and/or send a debug.log.

Also - saving a Project on file should produce (IIRC) a so called
"export" ImageSegment, otherwise it wouldn't be loadable in another
image.

> It's not all that importand for me to save this project, but if it helps debug
> something that may be a bug, I am available to experiment with it,
>
> Milan

Yeah, it sounds like a Squeak image bug to me. So hopefully you should
be able to interrupt it with alt-.

regards, Göran