Magma

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 10 17:52:21 UTC 2004

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Will I run into any issues with a few million objects?

I have loaded one database with several million objects once.  It took a long
time to load because it had several million entries in a MagmaCollection, which
are quite slow to update, unfortunately.

However, once loaded, read-access was very fast.

> Does it scale to that level or beyond?

It's hard to say.  I think performance is more dependent on the "shape" of your
object model rather than the size (within reason, of course).  Also, there are
several tools for optimizing performance (see
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2985 for information on optimizing
performance).

As I finally get to developing some serious programs this year, I'll know more
about this.

 - Chris