Summary of "Magma notes" issues

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Jul 10 19:12:56 UTC 2004

<sigh>

Chris,

I spent a good three hours yesterday testing Magma and logging, in
detail, my experiences doing so.  As it happened, I came across several
issues that I felt needed to be brought to your attention.  I was
confident that by doing so I would be helping you to find the bugs, fix
them, and thus improve Magma.  After a few iterations of this, I
thought, Magma might be suitable for production use, and we would all
benefit.

It's very clear from your responses below, however, that this isn't
something that interests you.  Magma "works for you", and any problems
any of the rest of us have with it are due to "incorrect expectations",
bugs in Squeak, user error when setting preferences, or, evidently, are
simply figments of our imagination.

Ok.  I've clearly been wasting my time.  If it's more important to you
to defend Magma's reputation by denying that bugs exist, than it is to
defend Magma's quality by fixing them, then there's no way that I can
help, and absolutely no chance that I will ever use it.

But in case it helps:
- Debug mode is *not* on in my images.  I just checked.  I still
experienced locked images while trying to connect, and no commit
errors.  Perhaps the logic that checks for debug mode is faulty?
- Saving and quitting a running server *did* leave my image in a state
where it couldn't act as a server.  I'm happy to send you the image.
- Killing the process of a running server *did* leave my database in a
state where I couldn't access the data.  I'm happy to send you the
.magma file.
- I'm not making up what I'm calling "the silent failure issue".  It
may be very specific to my setup: perhaps it only affects those using
Squeak 3.7b on a Carbon VM running on aluminum Powerbooks in rainy
climates.  But simply denying that it exists doesn't help, and is
unlikely to increase anyone's confidence in Magma.

One other note:

>> How easy is it to lose data?
> Actually, not too easy, as long as hardware doesn't fail.

Having a process die suddenly does not require hardware failure.
Operating systems kill processes all the time.  Not to mention
sysadmins.  If I can't "killall -9 squeak" without fearing for my data,
that's a big problem.  Again, I would be much happier if you seemed to
be acknowledging the problem rather than explaining it away.

Cheers,
Avi