Summary of "Magma notes" issues

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Jul 11 00:51:22 UTC 2004

On Jul 10, 2004, at 5:17 PM, Ramiro Diaz Trepat wrote:

> Yes yes... It's true that you guys add a lot to Squeak.
> In spite of that, and in spite of how smart you are Avi, you seem to
> lack wisdom.  I don't really know you or anybody here, but I believe
> you must be very young, and may be a bit immature, to be so arrogant
> and to show so little respect towards the work of Chris (whom I don't
> know either), but who is obviously someone very smart as well, and
> with the balls to undertake the enormous problem of object persistence
> in Squeak by himself.  I don't know who do you respect here, may be
> Alan Kay, may be Dan Ingalls.  I haven't done a lot of research but
> I'm sure they don't come out to people who is trying to add value to
> Squeak that way.

If I've been arrogant, offensive, or disrespectful, I apologize.  I
don't apologize for providing feedback on what I see as issues with the
current version of Magma: I believe that's the purpose of lists such as
these, and if negative feedback is not provided, then nothing will ever
improve.  Indeed, I sorely wish that people were more critical of the
work that I release - knowing what people like is good and is
gratifying, but knowing what people *don't* like is crucial.

However, I could have been more graceful in accepting the way my
feedback was taken; Chris is of course free to place as much or as
little weight on it as he likes, and it's not for me to criticize him
for his choice.

I don't believe that my posts are generally rude or overbearing, and I
have great respect for everyone in this community, not just those you
mention.  But since this particular thread seems to have struck a nerve
(in myself, or in others), I will refrain from posting on it further.

Here's to Squeak, to Magma, and to the continuing improvement of both.

Avi