[BUG][SM] Squeak map broken at server?

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sun Jul 11 14:21:25 UTC 2004

Goran,

thank you very much!

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi Stephan!
>
> Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
>
>>I always get the PackageLoader error
>>  Error occured when updating map: UndefinedObject>>do:
>>in a recent image. After that the package loader comes up or works
>>further, but does it use the actual map then?
>

> Nope, it doesn't - the failure is most probably when loading the
> ImageSegment.

Yes!

> This is the bug we have been discussing on this list recently - I am
> pretty sure.
> If you press alt-. (at the OK dialog), bring up debugger and do "full
> stack" you should see that it is in .... .
>
> (Sidenote: Just improved that dialog so that it asks if you want to
> debug. :))
>

> And if this is the case, try if it works if you start the VM with
> "-memory 30m".

Limiting the memory helps.

> I guess you are on perhaps Linux 2.6 or OpenBSD? :)

Linux 2.6.
Hmm, let me try with 2.4; just a moment...

That's it!
Without limiting memory
  SMSqueakMap default reload
works with
  Linux karl 2.4.26sr #1 Sun May 23 19:28:24 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
, but *not* with my home brewed
  Linux karl 2.6.7 #1 Fri Jul 9 00:03:48 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
!

I remember some discussion about memory ranges and have upgraded to 2.6
recently; but my mind hasn't made the connection between these events
until yet...

After looking into the discussion:

Since this is a serious problem, an ST changeset probably using David's
MemoryAddressesPlugin checking for the memory problem at startup and
both warning and hinting the user how to circumvent it, would be good,
if it takes longer to bugfix the VMs.

Does the MemoryAddressesPlugin catch this error in every case?
Does the workaround by manually limiting the memory work in each case?

BTW: a release shouldn't be made with this error IMO.

Greetings
Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)