Going for the Full Monti (Re: How to improve Squeak)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Jul 12 00:20:00 UTC 2004

On Jul 11, 2004, at 4:25 PM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> Avi? Comments? Is Monticello up to the task? :)

Of course not - nobody's tried it yet ;).  That is, there's no reason
in theory why it shouldn't work, but I have confidence that we'll run
into a whole bunch of problems at the beginning, some of which I can
predict (performance and UI issues arising from Monticello not being
designed to handle at once the 50+ packages we'll probably want to
divide the image into), most of which I'm sure I can't.  But *will*
Monticello be up to the task, in the long run?  Yes, definitely.  I
think this is a great experiment, and if we try it in earnest, I'll
commit some serious time to smoothing over whatever problems we run
into.

My point is this: I think it's a good time to try this out, but we'll
be in for a rough ride.  As long as you promise to nag me to fix what's
broken instead of getting discouraged and giving up, then let's do it.

</disclaimer>

Avi