Going for the Full Monti (Re: How to improve Squeak)

smallsqueak.net smallsqueak at rogers.com
Mon Jul 12 13:47:05 UTC 2004

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2004, at 10:41 PM, SmallSqueak wrote:
>
> > Oh, this reminds me after Chuck was loaded, any package
> > from SM was loaded very slowly.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this slowness ?
> >
> > Just wondering if Chuck or Monticello or the combination
> > was responsible for the slowness.
>
> Monticello likely is.  Loading .mcz packages properly is definitely
> slower than using the bootstrap MCInstaller.  But how slowly is "very
> slowly"?

    Honestly, it's been quite a while ago and it was the first impression.

    Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter much how slowly it was 'very slow',
    once we are aware of it and commit to improve it.

    P4 4GHz is pretty soon the entry level PC while software engineering
    is still an oxymoron so I guess we can rely on the hardware to
compensate
    for what's lost during the process of de-oxymoronizing.
     (Webster.com crashed when I searched for this word ;-)

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.