"Save Project on File" "almost hangs" Squeak?

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 12 13:42:15 UTC 2004

Ned,

(sorry i sent this to you instead to list last night .. just a copy here, with
one note/question - when playing with your solution last night I thought the
"reason" why the save hang was the "improperly renamed class ZTime" - do you
think it was that or just the fact I had the Changeset browser opened in the
project, which made the object graph too big and Squeak decided to stop the
save?)

Thanks for the detail description and help. I am now able to "save the project
to file" and understand (partly) why Save did not work before, a few notes
inline below:

On July 11, 2004 12:42 pm, Ned Konz wrote:
> On Sunday 11 July 2004 8:22 am, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

<<snip>>

> Just do this after the save failure:
>
> - click on the desktop in the project (the copy of the one that you're
> saving) that is displaying the progress morph forever (this project is
> called Unnamed#).

Just a note, I was only able to get control back from the "temp project" after
Alt-. + Abandon.

> - go to the previous project (the one you're trying to save).

I did

> - click on the "OK" button on the requestor in the upper left hand corner
> that says "extra associations"

Interesting - I have not seen anything in the upper left corner of my original
project ...

> - Open a Project history morph from the Objects tool

I did

> - drag out project view morphs for any projects you didn't make yourself
> (like the "Unnamed#" one you just left)
> - hold the button down on each one of these and choose "expunge project"
> - close the change sorter in your original project and try again.

I did

After that, I did "save" - from World menu, probably not needed -  and was
able to "Save Project On File" , great, Thanks!

I tried to look for the "ZTime" class in Browser before I closed the "Change
Sorter" but did not find it, not sure why. In any case, do you think I must
have renamed it or something else could have happened to the image? - Just
curious, I am not aware of renaming any class, perhaps by accident .. I have
been playing with creating classes from the workspace, perhaps I messed up at
some point.

Thanks for your help, hope once I know more about Squeak I'd be able to fix
such things :)

Milan