How to improve Squeak

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Mon Jul 12 18:59:36 UTC 2004

Brad,

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> 	my point here is rather simple: if there is a problem, the process
> should be analyzed and fixed; the person should not be blamed.

Agreed.

> Again, I'm not suggesting a new process, but I could ;-)

You're welcome!

> It's just a red flag for me to see that code submissions can make it into a
> released product without peer review.

Have you read the docs related to the BFAV and how to deal with the
ENH/FIX process in Squeak?
Have you tried to make a review yourself to understand it?

> Is peer review a fix-all: heck no.
> It's just one accepted practice. Is it fool-proof: heck no. I've seen
> instances where people will make agreements just to get their code in (if
> you'll approve mine, I'll approve yours). Any process can be hacked.

That's always true. But not the case here.

1. About a year ago I've been forced - at work - to make peer reviews of
rotten UML diagrams, where the people haven't known how to model well in
 UML (I've visited some introduction course and spoken with the teacher).
The diagrams looked nice, but haven't tackled the real problems to be
solved: it was *only* top-down design, and stopped in direction to the
down where it starts to become difficult (and interesting, of course!).
And it has taken so much time to explain what was bad in these diagrams...

2. I know software development planning in a very complex project with
some scientific aspects, where 'pi * thumb' planning would have been far
superior about the pseudo-exact MSProject plans. One of the highlights:
an MSProject plan with say 100 tasks, but with none (human) resource
allocation; in short: is every task taken some time exactly made by one
man this time? Not very probable...

Sorry, but you have hitted - without intention, of course - some wounded
point in my professional life...

Greetings and peace
Stephan

--