How to improve Squeak

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jul 13 09:31:22 UTC 2004

Hi all

After reading all this thread over my sllllloooowwwwwww modem I will
try to sum up my point
and remarks.

- The current process is working. More process will not help.

- We need more people testing/writing tests/fixing. I think that
everybody can contribute by writing
tests this way we will be able to have a real active documentation.

- I agree with ned that having a wilder alpha phase would help (we were
slow down in KCP
because we had to consider the potential desynchronisation with the
update stream).

- I agree with Tim peer review is the best way to get quality in.
Everybody can be tired and make mistake. Mistakes are part of the
process. I like to read when Ned and andreas argue about some morphic
points because this gives me the confidence that something is
improving.

- About managing the image with MC. I would like to get rid of
changeset (at least the fact that they do not hold versions). I think
that doing that we will have to address the point that MC packages
are weak (nathanael reported to me a lot of problems he encountered
with them while working on the new version of traits). But again
pressure is the drive for improvement. By the way we have a byte-code
loader for MC.

- Finally I would like to say that even if having image managed by MC
this will not solve the problem
I mentioned with my original email.
could we have a new tag in BFAV to report broken parts or part to
refactor clean...?
[REP] Bookmorph saving broken
[REP] Class ZZZ should be removed
Then I think that we should identify some assets EventRecorderMorph,
BookMorph and build some tasks forces. But I'm pessimist.

Stef