Multiple packages affecting the same method

Frank Shearar Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk
Wed Jul 14 10:24:44 UTC 2004

Caveat: I've not thought through this, so please tell me to stop asking silly questions if necessary:

I work on a Network-SIP package. To make SIP URIs work nicely I alters Url>>absoluteFromText:, adding

	(scheme = 'sip') ifTrue: [ newUrl _ SipUrl new privateInitializeFromText: remainder ].
	(scheme = 'sips') ifTrue: [ newUrl _ SipsUrl new privateInitializeFromText: remainder ].

and moving the message to the *Network-SIP-override category.

Now Joe Foo comes along, and adds support for (sucking my thumb vigourously), the cap:// URI scheme. He too wants E URIs to work nicely, so he too alters Url>>absoluteFromText:, adding

	(scheme = 'cap') ifTrue: [ newUrl _ CapUrl new privateInitializeFromText: remainder ].

and moving the message to the *E-override category (or whatever).

So. Two packages alter the same method. How does PackageInfo (and Monticello, and whatever else needs to) remember that both the Network-SIP and E packages altered the same method? Does one package get sole control/responsibility/ownership over the method?

frank

whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
RNID policy.
If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the RNID
Helpdesk by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 296 8282.
The Royal National Institute for Deaf People
Registered Office 19*23 Featherstone Street
London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England)
Registered Charity No. 207720