The future of SM...

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jul 15 21:04:58 UTC 2004

Hi Avi!

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2004, at 6:22 AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > - Does the community want me to continue my work on SM? If the answer
> > is
> > no, I will drop it immediately, I don't have time to waste on a dead
> > project.
>
> Please, please continue it.  With all due respect to Craig: it would be
> madness to stop working on a successful piece of Squeak infrastructure
> that we've all come to rely on, simply because somebody thinks that
> they may have a better alternative ready at some unspecified point in
> the future.  Slate is very promising, for example, but we haven't all
> given up on Squeak just because Brian's working on it.

Yes.

> > - If the answer is yes, is it fair of me to ask people to collaborate
> > with me on how SM works and how it should evolve instead of people
> > building replacements?
>
> To turn your question around: I don't think it's fair to ask that
> nobody work on building replacements.  Sometimes visions and goals are
> too different for collaboration to work.  That's their prerogative, and
> if they come out with a real competitor to SM, the community will
> benefit in the long run.  The community will *not* benefit from SM
> disappearing at the first sign of competition.

Right. Well, of course I can't ask people to NOT work on replacements.

I would however like to know that a larger part of the community think
that SM *can* evolve into the future and is *not* considered to be some
transitional thing. And that they *want* to help out.

> I also think it's fair to ask that those who *do* share your vision
> closely enough that they can reasonably collaborate on SM, do so.  But
> that won't include everyone.  That's how it goes.

Yes - and again - if anyone is interested, email me. Avi, you have
already helped quite a bit. So has Ned and Brian and several others in
pieces here and there. But noone has stepped up as an interested
co-maintainer. Hint, hint. :)

[SNIP]
> > So... I want a smart Smalltalk diff/patch but for *objects* and not
> > Strings. Anyone up to the task?
>
> Colin has already pointed out that diffing objects is, in the general
> case, very hard, and that he's working on tree diffing.  I'm pretty
> certain that the SM model could be squeezed into an appropriate tree
> for his Difference Engine to work with it.  In fact, the model is
> probably simple enough that we could support it with the current
> version of Monticello: people could load/commit/merge versions of the
> map (the data, not the code) using a special set of MCDefinition
> subclasses.  It would take a reasonable amount of work, but would
> certainly be doable.

Also interesting to hear. Hmm.

> > Hmmmm... I might have an idea how to do this in a simple way... Well,
> > that is another posting alltogether. :)
>
> Eager to hear it :).

Need to think it through first. :) It is a hackish but possibly viable
way.
Though using Monticello is also a very interesting path.

> Avi

regards, Göran