About the size limit of the change file

tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 16 23:02:28 UTC 2004

Colin Putney wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2004, at 1:50 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I would like to know if somebody knows why there is a limit of the
>> change file size.
[snip]

> It's because of the number of bits available for source pointers in
> CompiledMethods.
Exactly - it's what, 24 bits for file index and 6 for which file,
something like that these days. Assuming we do ever actually adopt the
new CompiledMethod format I proposed then that limit can be arbitrarily
expanded to any size file, any number of files, a database, URLs, Squat
UUID fetcher specs, ouija-board policy or whatever.

tim