Need your feedback on trait IDE usability

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 11:15:14 UTC 2004

Hi traiters :),
I've had a quick play around with the latest traits, here is what I've
found...

Using the standard squeak system browser...
    create new class CCC - ok
    create new trait XXX - ok
    create new trait YYY uses  XXX - ok
    create methods in all the above - ok

Select a method in trait XXX
    click on inheritance button - error...
        MessageNotUnderstood: Trait>>allSubclassesWithLevelDo:startingLevel:
    click on Source (What to show) button, select Documentation - error...
        MessageNotUnderstood: Trait>>precodeCommentOrInheritedCommentFor:
    click on Source (What to show) button, select Tiles- error...
        MessageNotUnderstood: Trait>>whichClassIncludesSelector:

Create a new class that uses trait XXX - ok

Create a new variableSubclass (see WeakActionSequence for an example of a
variableSubclass), by evaluating...
    Array variableSubclass: #MyWeakSubclass
         uses: {XXX}
         instanceVariableNames: ''
         classVariableNames: ''
         poolDictionaries: ''
         category: 'Kernel-Objects'
I get an unknownSelector warning - confirming gives this error...
    MessageNotUnderstood: Array
class>>variableSubclass:uses:instanceVariableNames:classVariableNames:poolDi
ctionaries:category:

Similarly, I cannot create variableByteSubclasses, variableWordSubclasses,
or weakSubclasses...
I can, however, create these kinds of classes if I omit the uses:{} part of
the expression.
(Is it possible to use traits with these kind of subclasses? )

That's all for now.
Keep up the good work, what you've done so far is fantastic
Regards,
Andy
p.s. I also checked that my ShoutTraits addOn package is still working - and
it seems ok.