Squeak Crash, cannot restart, "crash screen dump" attached...

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jul 17 15:08:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 09:32:44AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 06:43:20PM -0400, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> >
> > Anything I can do to salvage stuff inside the image?
>
> Well, maybe. It's worth a try.
>
> Anyway, regardless of the root cause, your immediate problem is to try to
> recover your image. I'd give it about a 20% chance of success, but it's
> probably worth a try. It is possible that if we can convince FlashCharacterMorph
> to not try to display itself, then we can temporarily bypass the method
> that is blowing up (of course, something else may blow up immediately
> afterward, hence the low probability of success). Sometimes this sort of
> hack can be done with a startup script that gets evaluated when Squeak starts
> itself.
>
> When I get some time later today I'll try to come up with an example that
> might help. Meantime I'll post this in the hope that it might prompt some
> more useful replies from other folks on the list.

OK, here is a startup script that will disable the FlashCharacterMorph>>fullDrawOn:
method, and with a bit of luck get you back to a runnable image. Here's
what to do:

1) Save a copy of your bad image and changes files.

2) Put the attached file (StartupHack.st.gz) in your Squeak directory.

3) Unzip it (gunzip StartupHack.st.gz).

4) Run your bad image as follows:

   squeak -headless myHosedImage StartupHack.st

5) This will run Squeak without a display, apply the patch, and save the patched
image.  After a few seconds, the headless image should exit and return you to
the unix command prompt. Now start the image back up like this:

   squeak myHosedImage

If this works, you should get a running image, but probably with some of
your morphs not displaying properly. If you get that far, then save
whatever you can and be happy.

If you are able to get your image reasonably healthy, you can undo our
startup hack simply by browsing FlashCharacterMorph>>fullDrawOn:, and
undoing the most recent change ("versions" button on the browser).

Good luck!

Dave