[RFI] Fresh image save prompt (was Re: a little sugestion about squeak aesthetics)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Jul 19 20:43:48 UTC 2004

On Jun 27, 2004, at 3:30 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>> The first thing that anyone should do after starting a 'virgin' image
>> is save in their local directory under a sensible name. That way your
>> virgin image stays pure (with the minor pollution in the changes file)
>> and you have a clean base to return to. I would claim that the
>> delivered image ought to insist on being saved locally ASAP.
>
> Nice idea.  A simple implementation is that "save" will pop up a
> warning
> if your filename is in one of the canonical forms like
> Squeak3.6beta.image.  Responses to the warning would include "yes, save
> it", "choose a different name", and "never mind".

Yes, good idea... people shouldn't normally be saving over freshly
downloaded images.  This [RFI] is a Request For Implementation if
anyone wants to implement this. :)

One minor trick is figuring out exactly what a canonical form is for
the image name.  Or, the delivered image could have some flag set so
that the first save always prompts with a warning like the one above.
(But then we'd always have to remember to make sure the flag was set in
any delivered image.)

- Doug