[FIX] [ENH] NewCurves-wiz ( [er][et] Looks nice. Should be renamed. Suitable for base inclusion. )

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 05:03:20 UTC 2004

--- cdshaffer at acm.org wrote:

> I loaded this code into 3.7g (5976) and put a few
> NewCurveMorph's
> through their paces.  All of the CurveMorph features
> worked: adding and
> removing vertices, dragging control points, changing
> border line
> properties etc.  I definitely like the smooth
> curves.
>
> My benchmark of /drawing/ shows that at least in a
> small number of cases
> NewCurveMorph is faster than its predecessor.  I
> have included an
> example below.  I tried a few other shapes, even one
> that felt sluggish
> in Morphic but NewCurveMorph performed at worst
> still better than
> CurveMorph.

 Thanks very much for looking at this. I am glad you
like it. I really want to see a version of these
routines incorperated into the main stream of squeak.

 Thanks for running the benchmarks I didn't know how
to test it for speed and the improvements vied with
the refinements for time effect. Glad to know its
mostly faster.

> I don't think that this should replace the existing
> CurveMorph since
> many people use that morph and expect its current
> behavior.  I'd rather
> see NewCurveMorph renamed to SmootherCurveMorph or
> something.

There is a preference to disable the newcurve feature
and get the old behavior using the newCurve methods.
I put that in because I believe as you do some might
not want their old stuff to change.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of  Preferences
and have not figured out how to put the preference
where it would be prominent.

New curve wants to replace the old curve stuff because
it will handle the smoothing in a much more
maintainable and expandable way.  Other interesting
shapes are possible.  I wrote a scaledslope Subclass
that just adds a scale factor  and was able by
changing one parameter to get my diamond shape to look
everything from segmented to even a pretty good
looking roundish rectange.

If it helps harvesters to introduce it slowly I'm fine
with that. And your names as good as mine I have no
problems with it either.

Thanks for your adding to my efforts.

Yours in service,  Jerome Peace