How to incorporate the m17n changes

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Jul 26 05:10:25 UTC 2004

On Saturday, July 24, 2004, at 10:57 AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> Michael Rueger <michael at squeakland.org> wrote:
>> Doug Way wrote:
>>
>>> install. (or there could be some other simple install option)  The
>>> important thing is that all the Smalltalk code changes for m17n are
>>> built into 3.8, not necessarily the fonts themselves...?
>>
>> We could have all the language/locale specific date/font files as
>> packages. So when revised fonts/translations/images become available
>> people would only need to load the updated package, not worrying about
>> the details.
>
> Yes. And Doug also wrote about "fonts" and "forms" subdirs - I haven't
> looked at this, but if these are simply directories holding resource
> files, then I assume it could use the SM filecache instead.
>
> I mean, if the fonts are packages they will be cached locally in the SM
> cache anyway.

I think this makes sense, as long as we're not going to be including
these fonts/forms files in the Basic or Full distributions.  (I
wouldn't want to have to include an sm cache directory structure with
UUID etc as part of a Basic/Full .zip file...)

Does a little bit of work need to be done to have these loadable as
packages like this, and not accessed via the fonts/forms subdirs?

Also, I think I'm probably going to go with my alternative #3 from my
original post, if there are no objections.  This would be issuing an
update which loads all of this stuff from an SM package.  We've done
this before, and it seems to be a reasonable way to load something that
includes arbitrary files.

- Doug