How to compile a plugin on MacOSX?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 26 19:20:24 UTC 2004

Alexandre Bergel <bergel at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> oups, please ignore my previous mail.
> there was a mistake somewhere related to the "path to generated source". Probably I was too tired...
>
> I succeeded to generate the .lo and .la files corresponding to the plugin. I put this file in the same folder of the Squeak 3.7.1Beta2.1.app VM
[...]

Ah yes, the glorious convenience that autotools have brought us.
libtool builds .lo and .la files, but you want the actual plugin.

What you are supposed to do here is invoke libtool in magic ways to get
the plugin out. "libtool --help" may lead you on the right path.  Also,
"make -n install" should give you a suggestion about what the correct
command is.  And there are a lot of info pages about libtool; you may
want to hunt those down if all else fails.

But before you do that, you should poke around the build directories and
see if you can find the correct file.  Something like "find -name
'MyPlugin*'" should be helpful.  I seem to recall that on Linux, the
real .so files are put in a .libs subdirectory.  Perhaps the .dylib's
(or whatever) that libtool builds for OS/X are hidden in similar
location?

Doing it in this second way seems to be pretty safe despite being
improper.  At any rate, no autopolice have come after me yet.  Maybe
they tried to use aclocal-1.8 and could not compile themselves....

Good luck!

-Lex