Squeak 3.8 status

Tue Jul 27 20:07:01 UTC 2004

Thank you all for understanding.  We're going to be doing our part to
forward Squeak (We're already working on adding OS windows and all
sorts of goodness)

We can't really port Tweak until M17n is in place however as we don't
want to keep re-porting it.  And as it stands, some comments won't even
load in properly :)

I'm not asking anyone to build a special Squeak for us.  But I think
more stable squeaks with shorter life cycles are better for the
platform than a 18 month release with 20 new things that cause all
sorts of havoc.

Not to mention once this m17n stuff goes in and is debugged, everyone
in the community wins with a large step forward.

Steve

P.S.  We don't have a page for TK4 up yet, which will be open source
btw.  I'm working on it.

On Jul 27, 2004, at 10:10 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> I actually think this sounds reasonable too.  I think it's useful to
> focus on a specific feature set for a release and m17n certainly seems
> large enough to pretty much justify its own release.  By the time we
> work out any bugs in it and any other that we come along (plus random
> other small stuff) there will be plenty of reason to do it.  It would
> also give us practice at getting shorter releases :)
>
> Julian
>
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Hi Doug,
>> I think it is worthwhile for a number of ongoing projects to consider
>> a very
>> short 3.8 cycle which basically pulls in the m17n stuff and no more.
>> The
>> reason being that various projects do need a stable point of
>> departure which
>> *does* include m17n and the changes are major enough that they will
>> most
>> definitely need some time to shake down. I think we would be better
>> off if
>> we basically go to beta straight away and maybe have another release
>> two
>> months down the road than putting in (and waiting for!) "new stuff"
>> and have
>> the next release only 6-8 month from now.
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Way" <dway at mailcan.com>

>>> soon.  It would require someone else taking over the release process

http://www.geeksrus.com/