Squeak 3.8 status

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 28 04:55:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > Well, if the other Guides think this sounds reasonable - and the VM
> > port maintainers, then why not. We could instead focus on changing
> > the development process during these months.
>
> This sounds generally reasonable to me.  The one modification I'd make
> is that we should still allow the usual fixes and small
> enhancements/refactorings to be harvested from the BFAV during this
> release.  (There is already a backlog of approved items from 3.7beta.)

That was implicit in saying let's go to beta quickly - beta is for fixes and
some other small enhancements or refactorings won't hurt, I think. The point
would be to get past alpha fairly quickly.

> However, we would not add any major enhancements (other than m17n)
> which have been discussed, such as splitting out a bunch of packages,
> major compiler changes, RegExp, Squat, etc.  Those could be lined up
> for the following release.

Correct. And by closing alpha early and getting to a release fairly quickly
we'd make sure that these changes aren't delayed forever. That's why I was
looking at the 2 months range - we basically have this stuff lined up to go
(there is even a prototype alpha already which will be the Squeakland plugin
image) so let's fold it in, wrap it up, declare victory for now, and put it
the new stuff afterwards.

Cheers,
  - Andreas