default visibility on SqueakSource

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Jul 28 20:25:23 UTC 2004

Currently, the default global visibility of any new projects created on
SqueakSource is "no access".  Since most people don't bother to change
it, this means that SqueakSource is much less useful than it could be -
it's generally impossible to track the development of a package you're
interested in, since the only things visible are official releases.
For example, I can tell from the activity that there are several new
development versions of Shout, but have no way to get them.

My assumption is that most developers don't actually want to hide their
development (though some may, of course), and so I'd like to recommend
two things:

- that the default for new projects be changed to Read
- that anyone with a project already on SqueakSource who doesn't mind
others tracking their development, change the settings on their
project.  To do this, login to SqueakSource, choose your project from
the sidebar on the left, then choose "Edit Project..." from the same
sidebar.  Most of the way down the page will be a select box labelled
"Global".  Change this to "Read", and hit Save.

Cheers,
Avi