mouse clicks in os-x

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Jul 28 21:03:09 UTC 2004

Since I'm busy working on multiple window support an annoying issue
finally percolated upwards in how the carbon os-x VM works with mouse
clicks.

I believe the standard behavior should be that clicking on an inactive
window brings that window to the foreground and does not process the
action of clicking on the contents of the window.

However a side effect of how we are processing mouse events means the
mouse event is passed into squeak on a window activate. An example
would be to startup squeak, startup another application in the
foreground, then click on the squeak desktop area when squeak is  the
background application. This then brings the squeak and the squeak
window to the foreground, and also then triggers the display of the
desktop menu.

What I'm proposing here is to "FIX" that issue and revert to standard
click processing on window activation. Squeak and the squeak window
should come to the foreground, but we shouldn't pass on that mouse
click to cause the desktop menu to be displayed.

Please let me know if you have any concerns with this change.

PS if anyone used the carbon mac os-x- squeak feature to make the
squeak window into a floating window they might want to check their
application very carefully once I submit a 3.8 VM for testing.

===