mouse clicks in os-x

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Jul 28 22:31:21 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 2:03 pm, John M McIntosh wrote:
> I believe the standard behavior should be that clicking on an inactive
> window brings that window to the foreground and does not process the
> action of clicking on the contents of the window.

That sounds to me like the kind of thing that is properly the policy of the
window manager, not of the application.

At least my window manager (kwm) allows me to specify that policy. That is, I
can choose between "Activate, Raise & Pass Click", "Activate & Pass Click",
"Activate & Raise", etc. for the action of each of the buttons on an inactive
inner window (and separately on an active or inactive titlebar or frame).

In the Unix X11 display module, we tell the window manager that we expect
input but never explicitly set focus to any of our subwindows.

However, in the Windows VM we ensure that we have focus on a WM_?BUTTONDOWN
(OR BUTTONUP) message, then go ahead and process it as normal (in fact, we
check the focus twice on a buttonUP message, just to make sure!). So the
behavior is the same as kwm's "Activate and pass click". But this is a focus
policy decision on the part of Squeak.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com