m17n ready to go

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 30 17:49:55 UTC 2004

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> All previously-existing code expected that text streams would return
> Characters that had a 1:1 mapping to the bytes in the file.

Actually, there are CrLfFileStream and TextFile, both of which do not
necessarily give 1:1 mappings.  Those of us that use one of these
classes think your discussions about CR versus LF are amusing.  Those of
you who do not use these classes think our complaints about the
incorrect 1:1 assumption are amusing.

Anyway, the point is that those of us who sufered through using
CrLfFileStream in a 1:1-assuming world, have already managed to get some
things in Squeak fixed over time.  Also, I can tell you that it's not
too bad to just switch over like this.  It's easy to fix the individual
broken cases; it is just frustrating that the upstream developers
frequently don't really care.

So, I vote to dive on into the icy stream.  Most things will work, and
most things that break will be easy to fix, and in the long run, much
less broken code will be written.

Lex