Squeak 3.8 status

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Jul 30 12:17:15 UTC 2004

On 27 juil. 04, at 10:14, Marcus Denker wrote:

> If you depend on squeak, you should try to get involved with the
> harvesting process (or work on improving/replacing that process).
> You can view that as an "investment" in your own future.

I totally agree with marcus. It is CRUCIAL that people making (or
wishing) to make money with Squeak invest also in the process. Note
that for me I could live happy with any image I patch
and do not care to give the result back to the community. In general
this costs me to send/harvest changes and I do not get money (nor wish
to make money with squeak).

> The problem is that all people involved with squeak 3.7a are not doing
> Squeak full time in any way. Those who do seem to always
> have more important stuff to do than the getting trivial fixes added
> to Squeak...

Sad but true. I think that this is the failure of open-source a la
squeak even if we got some
really nice tools recently (SM, MC, Shout, RB, TestingBrowser).

Stef