getting bugs to the right people

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 3 17:32:34 UTC 2004

I spent an hour or so yesterday trawling through BFAV, and so now I feel
like a real user and have grounds to point out a, umm, missing feature.

Most of the things I see being unreviewed are things that very specific
people *can* address or *should* address.  For example, if there is a
bug in the MorphicWrappers package or the Comanche, then only the
maintainer of that package can really address and close the bug.  I'm
not sure that these people are always seeing the bugs at all.

Further, I'm not sure that *I* should be seeing them as a random BFAV reviewer.  It's truly mindnumbing to go through tons of bugs on
packages that you don't know much about.

Along these lines, sometimes we do not have a maintainer when we
probably should.  As a particular example, is anyone in charge of
maintaining etoys as time goes by?  Someone posted a changeset that adds
a new command to all etoy objects, but this is the kind of improvement
that cannot be evaluated by itself.  The exact set of commands included
in etoys is very much a matter of taste and it requires that some take a
look at all the options and choose a set of commands that make sense as
a whole.  These decisions can't effectively be made one at a time.
Similarly, we can't really evaluate whether one small change to buttons
should be included; it takes a UI designer to look at a set of changes
and evaluate them as a whole.  It wouldn't work to simply start sending
in one changeset at a time from Zurgle; Zurgle should be included all or
nothing.

Here's a feature that could address these concerns:  attach *every* bug
to some specific package.  That way, the appropriate people can see the
message, because BFAV can automatically email the maintainer of the
package.  Further, inapporpriate people can *avoid* seeing the message;
unless I look at MorphicWrapper bugs I won't see them.  Note, by the
way, that we can also have a "don't know" package to assign bugs when
the user really doesn't know.  This is especially acceptible if it is
possible to reassign bugs after they have been created.

Just a thought.  Your eyes do not deceive you, and there is no code
attached to this email.  :)

Lex