LGPL(S) (was Re: GLORP)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Jun 8 08:09:21 UTC 2004

Hi all!

That is actually a rather interesting addendum. As many of us recall
Andrew Greenberg has repeatedly argued that GPL/LGPL don't fit into the
image centric world of Smalltalk. Even though the text doesn't sound
very "legalese" I assume Cincom has had lawyers look it over.

Interesting that they still use it. I can only guess that it is a way to
"ride" on the popular LGPL license, even though the logical move would
perhaps have been to craft a license that *does* work in a Smalltalk
world.

It would be interesting to see how such a GPL-equivalence and a
LGPL-equivalence crafted for the Smalltalk world could look like. And I
mean written by a lawyer. :)

regards, Göran

[SNIP]