[ENH] reposted: new String modifier: String>>asPlural

Alexander Lazarevic Alexander at Lazarevic.de
Tue Jun 8 10:50:54 UTC 2004

I think asPlural adds a stumbling block on the way to a fully localized
squeak. The only use of asPlural by now is in Object errorNotIndexable:

	self error: self class name asPlural , ' are not indexable'

This can be easily rewritten as:

	self error: ('Instances of class {1} are not indexable'
translated format: self class name)

This might not look as slick as before but circumvents creating the
plural form of a word and it is translatable. If asPlural stays in the
image and gets more used beside the context of the programming
environment, there will be a need for language specific versions of that
method. And they might be not as easy to write as the current one.

I'm by no means an expert on that topic, but I feel we should leave out
methods that generate language in favour of an easier to translate
squeak image.

Just my 2 eurocents,
	Alex