[ANN] Chuck type inferencer

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Jun 8 16:38:17 UTC 2004

On Jun 8, 2004, at 9:15 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> The simplest, cleanest, most OO, way of executing code would be to
> have the VM execute an AST directly.

I'm not convinced this is true: bytecode is a much simpler interface
between the image and the VM than an executable AST would be.  I also
wouldn't want the VM to depend on even the abstract syntax of
Smalltalk, since this would make it much more difficult to experiment
with targeting other languages to the Squeak VM - they'd have to be
translated to a Smalltalk AST rather than compiled to a neutral
bytecode.  My "Sorrow" concatenative compiler, for example, would have
been much harder to write.

The stack machine is a valuable abstraction, I don't think we want to
throw it away.

Avi