SqueakMap feature request

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Jun 11 07:19:51 UTC 2004

Hi Avi!

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> Just a random thought that occured to me: it would be nice if every
> release on SqueakMap could optionally provide multiple URLs: one for a
> fresh install, and one for an update from an earlier version (or range
> of earlier versions).  How this gets used would depend on the package
> format: for example, you might have a full .cs for the fresh install,
> and a smaller incremental .cs (with appropriate removals etc) for
> upgrading from the previous version.  Or you might have a .st file for
> the fresh install, but a .mcz (for which you would have to install
> Monticello) for the upgrade.  Or the upgrade version might be a SAR
> with a special script for updating existing instance data, and so on.
> If you're skipping some intermediate versions and there's no direct
> update provided, SqueakMap could even be smart enough to apply the
> updates one by one as needed...
>
> And no, there's no code attached to this email.  But if people like the
> idea I'd be willing to implement it.
>
> Avi

The only thing that pops up in my mind is that this should perhaps be
implemented using "resources" that we can "tag" using categories. The
idea with resources is that anyone can create a resource (owned by the
creating account, just like packages) and then attach it to a single
other SMObject (in this case an SMPackageRelease) not necessarily owned
by the resource owner.

And since an SMResource can have categories we can create a few
categories to "type" them OR we can have specific subclasses of
SMResource - like SMPatch or something that can also have an instance
variable referring to the "target" release or whatever.

So feel free to implement it! :)

regards, Göran