[UPDATES] 6 for Squeak3.7beta

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Jun 15 04:35:20 UTC 2004

On Monday, June 14, 2004, at 10:21 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 02:23:59AM -0400, dway at mailcan.com wrote:
>>
>> Last batch for 3.7beta (barring any major bugfixes appearing).
>
> It's too late in the release cycle for 3.7, but doesn't anybody
> consider
> "[bug][FIX] stack overflow crashes Squeak" to be a major bug? Reviewers
> needed. Thanks!

I just spent a bit of time trying to figure out when this bug
appeared...

First, I'm running 3.7beta on Mac OS X (10.2.5) with the 3.7.1Beta2
carbon VM.  If I run "Smalltalk createStackOverflow" I can break out of
it via cmd-. during the first several seconds, but if I let it run a
few minutes, that doesn't work.  Although even after letting it run 10+
minutes, Squeak never crashes, it just runs the CPU, and the low space
watcher never comes up.

Running the unix "top" command, the space alloted to the VM (VSIZE) is
555MB when starting Squeak, which does not change while it runs.
(RPRVT and RSIZE creep up very slowly)

I see exactly the same behavior on a 3.6-5429-basic image with the
3.7.1Beta2 VM, and the same behavior again with the 3.2final image and
the 3.2 VM.  So, I'm not sure how new the problem is...

- Doug