undefined symbol: shutdownModule

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Tue Jun 22 21:37:43 UTC 2004

> > But what module is "136266512"? Some time ago I saw a
> similar message
> > with a real module name which I could identify in the sources. But
> > there is no module named "136266512".
> > Besides that I got the impression that the image is not saved after
> > this error.
> It's never been an image=stopping error on any *nix machine I've used.
> All it is is that when shutting down the plugin code looks to
> see if a plugin specific function needs running. In Ian's
> code it prints out the unfound function's name and the module
> handle. No error, no emergency exit.
>

>   if ((fn == 0) && (!sqIgnorePluginErrors)
>       && strcmp(lookupName, "initialiseModule")
>       && strcmp(lookupName, "shutdownModule")
>       && strcmp(lookupName, "setInterpreter")
>       && strcmp(lookupName, "getModuleName"))
>     fprintf(stderr, "ioFindExternalFunctionIn(%s, %d):\n  %s\n",
> 	    lookupName, moduleHandle, dlerror());
>
> That's all.

Don't you think that if the msg doesn't indicate the error level, then the
user will wonder if he/she did something wrong? - and will continue to
wonder unless they take pains to find out more (like you did.) The message
should at least tell the user that it's non-fatal, maybe even
"informational".

Is there not a standard for error reporting in Squeak?