[ENH] CharacterTimes-rsb

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Jun 23 06:30:30 UTC 2004

I suppose you deserve a better reply than my latest. Basically after
the long rhetorical diarrhea about Hebrew, I was fairly revolted, and
had a difficult time even looking at the several pages following it. I
also do not particularly care for your interpretation or selection of
operator. It can be whatever I like, because you are not here to write
code; you're here to debate.

You may be wise and experienced, but this is not a debate hall or a
lecture hall at a university, and it is not polite to reply to every
sentence with a paragraph or a full thesis.

To address your questions: my presence on the Squeak list as a Slate
author is that Slate is intended to encompass every existing Squeak
role at some point. Slate has to abide by Squeak philosophies and
support everything that Squeakers want to do, simply because I want to
do all those things and believe that Squeak goes about them in entirely
the wrong way. I actually believe that Slate is exactly what Squeak
should be focussing on for the far future, in Alan Kay's terms and even
in practice. Also, I'd be a fool not to be here to record improvements
here and adapt them to Slate or at least note the contrast.

Everything else, I could care less about. You gave the full code for an
idiom I do not care for. I rejected it. copied: means
concatenatedTimes: so it is a totally unsuitable selector. I shall use
concatenatedTimes: and also implement copySize: in the manner alluded
to.

As for my reaction, perhaps it would not have happened, and I would
have read the content more thoroughly and with higher regard and
precision of understanding if I didn't have to wade through so bloody
much of it.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development