3.7a on Linux: A few install notes and problems

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 24 17:19:16 UTC 2004

Milan Zimmermann <milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> I noticed the inisqueak yesterday (after I already manully unzipped the 2 gz
> files). Is the idea that if I run it after install, then all I have to do is
> to execute "squeak" with no parameters and it will point to the installed
> image? If so, that's good, although it would be nice if running "inisqueak"
> was not necessary (and be part of the rpm install if possible), while minor
> it would be nice to have sort of a 1-click install.

That is what inisqueak is -- just type "inisqueak" and it will set up
your directory and run Squeak.  If the directory is already set up then
it simply runs Squeak, and does not overwrite your files.  Further, at
least one Unix distribution of Squeak puts inisqueak into the Gnome and
KDE menus; that menu item uses "inisqueak" as well.

I do wish that "inisqueak" was called "squeak" and that "squeak" was
called "squeakvm", however.  That way, newbies would guess the right
thing by default and have one less thing to worry about.  But, it is
hard to change now that so many people are using Squeak already.

-Lex