[ANN] Ambrai Smalltalk on mac OSX

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Fri Jun 25 23:53:59 UTC 2004

On Jun 25, 2004, at 2:46 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> This isn't about making Squeak a good platform for developing native
> UI desktop apps.

Speak for yourself. :-)

I'd like to be able to do Cocoa apps in Smalltalk and ship them.  Cocoa
is a really good api and being able to use tools like IB is very
useful.  The problem I have with Ambrai is that its not Cocoa.  I will
hazard the opinion that this will hinder its adoption among developers
who already work on the Mac.  Ambrai's UI library adds a completely
unnecessary learning curve where a simple bridge would pay in spades
given Objective C's similarity to Smalltalk wrt message sends.

Just my $0.02

FWIW, I'm hoping soon (next couple months) to kick off another assault
on the bridge.

-Todd Blanchard