3.7a on Linux: A few install notes and problems

muyuubyou muyuubyou at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 08:05:18 UTC 2004

I installed the Debian packages first, and then the plug-in.
Installing the plug-in broke my previous debian installation and I had
to reinstall.

Also, first thing it asks when using the plug-in is to upgrade (from
within the browser). That caught me for a while, hanging my browser.
Reason: I was running the browser as non-root (for security reasons,
this is a good idea, and sometimes not an option if you're running a
multi-user environment).

So basically you CAN'T update the plug-in if the browser is run as
non-root, and the user has to figure this out (my guess is many will
be clueless and dissapointed).