#class and #== optimalizations

Rob Withers rwithers12 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 30 09:38:52 UTC 2004

hi Pavel,

I also needed to intercept these two messages with my use of proxies in
SqueakElib.  I have a vm patch that pass through those bytecodes here:
http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/squeakelib/SqueakElibVM-rww.1.mcz

That blocks the bytecodes but there are still three methods you need.
I have attached that file.  Note that I hand edited the order of
methods to put #basicEquivalence: before #==.

One other class of methods that need consideration are those of the
#ifTrue:ifFalse: varients.  If the receiver isn't a boolean, you get a
MustBeBoolean (or whatever it is) error.   Tim mentioned this to me and
said that changing these could have a noticable impact on the system.
:-(  Maybe we could change the MustBeBoolean to a msg send, like
#cannotInterpret or doesNotUnderstand:.  Then we could catch it.   I
haven't attempted any solution for this case.

Rob